Skip to Main Content

Statewide Multicultural Service

Grant applications closed on Friday 4 September 2020

We are looking for a multicultural organisation to deliver a new Statewide Multicultural Service. This will deliver gambling harm prevention and treatment support to migrant and refugee communities in Victoria.

This will include culturally appropriate information, counselling, community education and community engagement opportunities accessible to Victoria’s diverse migrant and refugee communities.

You will deliver services directly, and use your extensive networks to streamline supported referral for community members to local services and activities.

Grant applications to deliver the service are now open.


Applications are now closed. We cannot accept late applications or provide extensions to the closing date for applications.

How to apply

Please review the documents below and submit your application using the application form.


If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Grace Kilpatrick, Senior Advisor, on (03) 9452 2638 or via email.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are ‘mainstream’ organisations or organisations that primarily work with one cultural or linguistic group (ethno-specific) eligible to apply?

No. We are seeking a multicultural organisation whose main purpose is addressing the needs of diverse migrant and refugee communities. A multicultural organisation needs to be the applicant and coordinator of the service.

However, the applicant may wish to sub-contract or partner with mainstream or ethno-specific organisations.

Is the sample staffing structure (2 x FTE counsellors etc) provided in the Program and Application Guidelines the recommended staffing structure for the program?

No. The example given was intended only as a guide for the sort of information to write in the table rather than a recommended structure.

Would telehealth be an option for service delivery?

Yes, telehealth could be an option for service delivery. Please see the section ‘Key service elements’ in the Program and application guidelines referring to the multiple modes of service delivery.

Do the in-house counsellors have to be bilingual?

No, in-house counsellors do not have to be bilingual. However, please note ‘Section 2: Eligibility requirements’ of the Program and application guidelines and ensure that your organisation complies overall with the qualities of a ‘multicultural organisation’.

If it is possible to choose one category for an in-house service, would it be possible to have an external bilingual counsellor to run group therapy or counselling sessions at our service site?

Yes, that is okay, as long as the contract with the counsellor is managed by your organisation.

In the Program and Application Guidelines, it is stated: ‘Receive clinical supervision provided in-house or externally paid for by their employer’. If counsellors at other agencies are subcontracted to deliver services and are already receiving clinical supervision, do we need to provide additional supervision in relation to the gambling-specific work they are subcontracted for? If yes, what is ‘externally paid for’ referring to?

Additional clinical supervision relating to gambling harm work is not required. What is required is that your payment of counsellors includes proportionate overheads including clinical supervision, regardless of how this supervision is accessed. This is because we recognise that access to clinical supervision is essential for high-quality client service.

Would it be possible for the Foundation to fund counsellor hours to gauge demand and then, based on levels of service up-take during the project period, establish a funding model based on projected demand?

No, it is not possible for us to fund counsellor hours. We do however accept that the provider of the service will need to respond flexibly to short-term and longer-term changes in service take-up.

Can you clarify the requirements for in-house counselling – guidelines mention the need to have options for counselling, casework and information, group counselling OR financial counselling. Is it possible to choose one of those categories? For example, offering only financial counselling or case work in-house? Could the service mostly include coordination and referral to external counsellors?

You are not required to deliver all these services in-house, but you must provide some client-facing services as part of the program.

It is up to you to determine the balance of resources directed to in-house client services such as counselling, relative to delivering a triage/referral service to providers outside the Statewide Multicultural Service.

The grant must increase overall availability of personal support to migrant and refugee community members, available in a culturally safe and familiar context. Being referred/triaged can provide an additional barrier to some people seeking help.

Back to top