Effects of gambling
The Foundation’s 2018 community attitudes survey found that 48 per cent of Victorians are not aware that gambling can have emotional side effects.
The truth is, it doesn’t matter how often you gamble or how much you spend, gambling can affect how you feel. Examples can include feeling stressed, guilty, annoyed, or just a bit down for no apparent reason.
The Effects of gambling campaign encourages people to pause and reflect on whether there may be a connection between their gambling and how they feel.
Information on the effects of gambling is now available in Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Greek, Italian, Spanish and Vietnamese.
On this page
Did you know?
We spoke to Victorians and explored different types of consequences that could be related to gambling beyond emotional side effects. These include:
In our 2018 community attitudes survey, we asked people about the negative effects from their own gambling. The five most common consequences were:
- reduced spending money
- reduced savings
- feelings of regret or shame about their gambling
- spending less time with people they care about
- feeling like a failure.
Please refer to the options below to consider how you can to help raise awareness about the emotional side effects of gambling through your own networks. We will add to these resources over time, so please check back for updates.
We will be posting regular content to Facebook and Twitter relating to this campaign and we encourage you to share our posts. If you’re posting on your own social media accounts, feel free to tag us:
Facebook – @responsiblegambling
Twitter – @vicrgf
Share our social media campaign video direct to your Facebook page: https://bit.ly/2VPh95s (English)
Brochure: Gambling and your wellbeing
Download and share this information brochure with your community and network:
Social media assets
We've created a selection of images you can download and post to your website or social media account – feel free to use or take inspiration from the suggested posts below.
Suggested social media posts
Suggested Facebook posts
- No matter how much or how often you gamble, it can affect how you feel. Are you gambling with your emotions? https://bit.ly/2JBBKTa
- Win or lose today your bet might add to your stress. Are you gambling with your emotions? https://bit.ly/2JBBKTa
- If you understand what’s causing stress, you can reduce it. Could it be gambling? https://bit.ly/2JfOobp
- It’s not all about the money. It's how it can make you feel. Is your betting causing you stress? Find out here: https://bit.ly/2LGwQqI
Suggested Twitter posts
- No matter how much or how often you gamble, it can affect how you feel. Does your betting have side effects? @vicrgf #effectsofgambling https://bit.ly/2E7zgsh
- Win or lose today your bet might add to your stress. Are you gambling with your emotions? @vicrgf #effectsofgambling https://bit.ly/2E7zgsh
- If you understand what's causing stress, you can reduce it. Could it be gambling? @vicrgf #effectsofgambling https://bit.ly/2VWY2pk
- It’s not all about the money. It's how it can make you feel. Is your betting causing you stress? Find out here: https://bit.ly/2WK0sEY @vicrgf #effectsofgambling