- Royal Hotel Benalla applied for an amendment to their license to increase their electronic gaming machines (EGMs) from 20 to 30.
- If approved, the hotel said it would increase its financial contributions to the community.
- The commission refused the application, finding that:
- The net economic and social impact of approval will be detrimental to the well-being of the community.
- Although the hotel planned to donate approximately $20,000 per year to various community organizations this pledge was dependent on the business of the Hotel.
- Therefore, the commission felt the donation lacked future surety and could not be considered in the 'net detriment' test.