- Maryborough Highland Society applied for an amendment to their license to increase their electronic gaming machines (EGMs) from 56 to 59.
- The Central Goldfields Shire Council did not make a submission to this application.
- The shire council has a rural cap of 99 EGMs and currently operates 96.
- Therefore granting this application would result in an increase to the from 96 EGMs to 99.
- The commission refused the application finding that:
- due to the high level of disadvantage, high EGM density and expenditure, the application would result in a negative impact on community wellbeing.
See our infographic on the Central Goldfields Shire and compare its pokies statistics with other councils across Victoria.