This edition contains 2015–2016 gambling statistics for all Australian states and territories.
This comprehensive set of data covers the entire range of legalised Australian gambling products such as pokies, casino, race betting, sports betting and lotteries. It provides a wide range of gambling data, including total turnover, total expenditure, per adult turnover, per adult expenditure, percentage change in turnover and expenditure each year, market share of each gambling product and government revenue collected from gambling taxes.
Notable findings were:
- total gambling expenditure in Australia increased from $22.734 billion in 2014–2015 to $23.648 billion in 2015–2016 (a 3.9 per cent increase)
- per adult gambling expenditure in Australia increased from $1,241.86 to $1,272.81
- total electronic gaming machine expenditure in Australia increased from $11.589 billion to $12.074 billion (a 4.2 per cent increase)
- total race betting expenditure in Australia increased from $2.815 billion to $2.943 billion (a 4.1 per cent increase)
- total sports betting expenditure in Australia increased from $815 million to $921 million (a 13.0 per cent increase).
For more information, see the 33rd edition of the Australian Gambling Statistics on the Queensland Government Statistician's Office website.