This edition of Australian Gambling Statistics contains 2016–2017 gambling statistics for all Australian states and territories.
This comprehensive set of data covers the entire range of legalised Australian gambling products such as pokies, casino, race betting, sports betting and lotteries. It provides a wide range of gambling data, including total turnover, total expenditure, per adult turnover, per adult expenditure, percentage change in turnover and expenditure each year, market share of each gambling product and government revenue collected from gambling taxes.
Notable findings were:
- total gambling expenditure in Australia decreased from $23.804 billion in 2015–2016 to $23.694 billion in 2016-17 (a 0.5 per cent decrease)
- per adult gambling expenditure in Australia decreased from $1,277.83 to $1,251.39 (a 1.7 per cent decrease)
- total electronic gaming machine expenditure in Australia increased from $12.074 billion to $12.136 billion (a 0.5 per cent increase)
- total casino expenditure in Australia decreased from $5.195 billion to $4.790 billion (a 7.8 per cent decrease)
- total race betting expenditure in Australia increased from $3.099 billion to $3.313 billion (a 6.9 per cent increase)
- total sports betting expenditure in Australia increased from $921 million to $1.062 billion (a 15.3 per cent increase).
For more information, see the 34th edition of the Australian Gambling Statistics on the Queensland Government Statistician's Office website.