- The Francis Hotel Pty Ltd applied for a license and planning permit for 32 electronic gaming machines (EGMs) for the Francis Hotel located on Lonsdale Street in Melbourne CBD.
- The Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation approved the license application but the Melbourne City Council refused the planning permit.
- The Francis Hotel applied for review by the tribunal of the council's refusal and the council applied to the tribunal for review of the commission's approval.
- The tribunal set aside the commission's decision to approve the Francis Hotel as a gaming venue and affirmed the council's decision to refuse a planning permit.
- The tribunal found that in addition to being contrary to local planning policy, approval of the gaming license would add risk to problem gamblers and have a negative impact on social well being.
See our infographic on the Melbourne City Council and compare its pokies statistics with other councils across Victoria.