- Grandview Hotel Victoria Pty Ltd was granted a license for 50 electronic gaming machines (EGMs) by the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.
- The Darebin City Council applied to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for a review of the commission's decision to approve the Grandview Hotel as suitable for gaming with permission for 50.
- The council argued the commission was wrong in finding there would be no economic and social detriment to the well-being of the community and rather approval of the application would result in a community benefit.
- The application for review was dismissed and the decision of the commission was affirmed.
- Applying the Supreme Court's decision in Romsey Hotel, the tribunal gave weight to the findings of the commission, finding:
- The approval of the premises as suitable for gaming will not have a net economic or social impact that is detrimental to the community.
See our infographic on the City of Darebin and compare its pokies statistics with other councils across Victoria.