On 3 and 6 March 2020, the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation heard an application by Zahav (Aust) Pty Ltd to install 60 pokies at Mt Atkinson Hotel in Truganina (City of Melton).
The City of Melton did not make a submission on the application.
On 14 April 2020, the commission approved the application with conditions.
After considering the material before it, the commission was satisfied that the social and economic impact of the application would not be detrimental to the wellbeing of the City of Melton community. Accordingly, the 'no net detriment' test was met and the application was approved.
The commission's approval is subject to the following conditions:
- the venue operator establishes a Community Development Engagement Initiative Program targeting disadvantaged young people in the City of Melton
- the venue operator contributes $90,000 per year (indexed to CPI) to fund the Program
- the Program is co-ordinated by the venue operator and supported by a Committee which has representation from Melton City Council and local Community Organisations
- if the Program ceases, an alternative arrangement for distribution of the Contribution must be made by agreement between the venue operator and Melton City Council, and notice of the change must be provided to the commission
- construction of the premises must be completed by 31 August 2022 and must substantially be in accordance with the plans submitted with the application
- approval does not take effect until the commission has inspected the completed premises and is satisfied that the premises are suitable for the management and operation of EGMs.