On 9 and 10 March 2021, the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation heard an application by Werribee Football Club Limited for a new gaming venue with 70 pokies at Club Tarneit, 115 Woods Road in Truganina (City of Wyndham).
The City of Wyndham opposed the application and appeared at the hearing.
On 1 April 2021, the commission approved the application with conditions.
The commission found the social and economic impact to the wellbeing of the City of Wyndham community, if the application was approved, will not be detrimental. Hence the 'no net detriment' test was met.
The commission's approval is subject to the following conditions:
- the approval does not take effect until Werribee Football Club satisfies the commission that:
- it has obtained planning approval for the premises, including permitting the premises to be used for gaming on gaming machines; or
- the use of the premises for gaming on gaming machines does not contravene the Wyndham Planning Scheme
- the approval does not take effect until the plans at Annexure B to the statement of Mr Ponti are amended to show the deletion of the outdoor smoking terrace adjacent to the gaming room, and the construction of the premises has been completed substantially in accordance with these amended plans. The construction of the premises must be completed by 31 March 2023
- Werribee Football Club will establish the Werribee Football Club – Club Tarneit Foundation (Fund) and undertake to make the following contributions with a total cash value of $75,000 each year:
- make cash contributions in the sum of $50,000 each year indexed to CPI; and
- apply the sum of $25,000 each year indexed to CPI to the salary of the Werribee Football Club's Community Development Manager’s role, such that the role increases from part-time to full-time
- the cash contribution of $50,000 will be allocated each year to not-for-profit community groups and sporting organisations providing services and facilities to residents within the City of Wyndham, with a focus on the growth areas on Wyndham including Tarneit and Truganina
- the cash contribution will be distributed as determined by a Committee established by Werribee Football Club comprising:
- two representatives of Werribee Football Club; and
- one representative of Council, or in the event that Council is unwilling to provide a representative, a community representative nominated by Werribee Football Club
- the Committee will advertise annually in a newspaper circulating in the City of Wyndham area for submissions from not-for-profit community and sporting organisations, providing services and facilities to residents within the City of Wyndham, regarding the distribution of the contribution to be made each year. The Committee will assess requests for cash contributions in accordance with guidelines to be established by the Committee.